DONALD EKONG LIBRARY WEEKLY REPORT
Monday 31st July – Friday 4th August 2023
- On Monday, 31st July 2023, the University Librarian, Dr. Helen U. Emasealu, received three (3) copies of a book titled Special Thanksgiving of my Appointment as the 9th ViceChancellor of the University of Port Harcourt from the Vice-Chancellor, Prof. Owunari A. Georgewill. The Management of Donald Ekong Library appreciates the kind gesture. Other scholars and library patrons are requested to contribute books, journals and audiovisual materials to enrich the resources of the Library and support further research.
- On Tuesday, 1st August 2023, the American Corner, Port Harcourt, organised three Programs:
- 1st Program: Social Media Optimisation. The program was on techniques and strategies for promoting brands, services and activities using social media.
- 2nd Program: Mobile Marketing Campaign. The program was on mobile marketing using online marketing techniques to create a target audience and achieve productivity.
- 3rd Program: Blogging and Web Creation: The program centred on interactive aspects of website design and content creation.
Sixty-nine (69) participants attended the three programs, and they were from the Faculties of Computing, Management Science, Engineering, SSLT, Clinical Science, Humanities, Education, Law and outside the University Community.
- One hundred and ninety-eight (198) researchers patronised the American Corner in the week under review. They were from the Faculties of Computing, Management Science, Engineering, SSLT, Clinical Science, Humanities, Education and Law.
- The Knowledge Commons (for undergraduates) and the Research Commons (for postgraduates) sections on the first floor of the Library are open to those who wish to access the Library’s electronic resources using the ICT facilities in the Library. Similarly, the Elsevier training laboratory on the second floor has internet access to all subscribed databases and is open to faculty members.
- Donald Ekong Library has received an update of its Agora Database with the new content. https://www.fao.org/home/en/ The database provides registered faculty members and researchers with information materials, journals, audio-visuals and other collections centred on agriculture and related disciplines.
- Weekly statistics of the patronage of Donald Ekong Library showed a 33% decrease from two thousand, one hundred and forty-two (2,142) users in the previous week to one thousand and twenty-one (1021) users in the current week. This trend may be because undergraduate students had concluded the semester examinations in the current academic session.
For a real-time response to information about the Library and its collections, library users can access the virtual librarian Chat box on the website of the Library as follows: https://library.uniport.edu.ng/
Parting Shot: Staff and students of our great and unique University of Port Harcourt are requested to regularly patronise Donald Ekong Library, a storehouse of knowledge and the heartbeat of scholarship. Our diligent library team is waiting to receive you. Please, come.
Donald Ekong Library communication channels for remote access are as follows:
LinkedIn: Uniport library
Dr. Helen U. Emasealu, CLN