DONALD EKONG LIBRARY WEEKLY REPORT
Friday 12th May – Friday 19th May 2023
- The University Librarian, Dr Helen U. Emasealu, attended the Association of University Librarians of Nigerian Universities (AULNU) conference on Monday, 15th May 2023, at the National Open University of Nigeria, Abuja.
- In line with its mandate of promoting access to information and service delivery, the American Corner, Port Harcourt, organized a seminar tagged Education USA Orientation Programme on Wednesday, 17th May 2023. The event provided tips on scholarship opportunities in the United States of America for international students. Participants at this one-day event were mainly University of Port Harcourt students.
- Donald E.U. Ekong Library will organize library orientation for U-2022/2023 freshmen/women (Year One students) from Monday, 22nd May to Thursday, 8th June 2023. This orientation programme is the practical library component of GES 100.1 (Use of English). Deans of Faculties, Heads of Departments and other faculty leaders are requested to direct the new students to attend the orientation using the approved timetable.
- On Wednesday, 10th May 2023, the University Library received pupils of Xendell Nursery and Primary School, Port Harcourt, visiting the library for an excursion. Mr Yusuf Lateef, the Circulation Librarian, took the visiting students on a guided tour to the readers’ service section, information services section, technical section and the reading halls of the library. The pupils were delighted about the experience.
- The University Librarian, Dr Helen U. Emasealu, has been invited to serve as Resource Person by the Librarians’ Registration Council of Nigeria (LRCN) at its national workshop scheduled to hold from 18th- 23rd June 2023 at the University of Port Harcourt, Rivers State. The title of her presentation is “New Technological Trends: Applications in Libraries”. This workshop aims to equip librarians with the necessary skills that encourage creativity and collaboration among librarians and information professionals.
- The library received an update on its ARDI (Access to Research for Development and Innovation) Database (https://www.wipo.int/ardi/en/), which gives registered faculty members and other researchers information materials, journals, articles, and conference proceedings on science and technology-related disciplines.
- Weekly statistics of the patronage of Donald Ekong Library showed a 30% decrease from 1,741 users in the previous week to 1,177 users in the current week.
Donald Ekong Library communication channels for remote access are:
LinkedIn: Uniport library
Dr. Helen U. Emasealu, CLN