DONALD EKONG LIBRARY WEEKLY REPORT
Monday 9th – Friday 13th October 2023
- From Monday 9th to Wednesday 11th October 2023, the American Corner, Port Harcourt, organized three programs:
- 1st Program: Building Professional Presentation Skills 1. This program provided participants with background knowledge on the development of soft skills. The program ended with a question-and-answer session for the participants’ comprehensive understanding of the topic.
- 2nd Program: Building Professional Presentation Skills 2. The program focused on communication, leadership, critical thinking, and active listening skills.
- 3rd Program: Education USA Orientation. The program provided participants admission into postgraduate programs and scholarship opportunities in the United States of America.
Forty-six (46) participants attended the three (3) programmes. They were from the Faculties of Humanities, Science, Social Sciences, Basic Medical Sciences, Management Science and Education.
- On Tuesday, 10th October 2023, The University Librarian, Dr. Helen U. Emasealu, received a book donation for library retention. The book’s title is The Historian and Society: Selected Historical Writings of Yusuf Bala Usman, edited by George Amale Kwanashie and Norma Perchonock.
The Management of Donald Ekong Library appreciates the donor for the kind gesture and urges other scholars and library patrons to donate books, journals and audio-visual materials to enhance the resources of the Library and promote further research.
- The Knowledge Commons (for undergraduates) and the Research Commons (for postgraduates) sections on the first floor of the Library are open to those who wish to access the Library’s electronic resources using the ICT facilities in the Library. Similarly, the Elsevier training laboratory on the second floor has internet access to all subscribed databases and is open to faculty members.
- The Library has received an update of its Scopus Database with the new content. https://www.scopus.com/home.uri The database provides registered Faculty members and researchers with the most extensive abstract and cited database on peer-reviewed literature and information materials across disciplines.
- The Library has received an update on its Science Direct Database. https://www.sciencedirect.com The database provides researchers and registered library users with information resources for scientific, technical, and medical research. It offers full-text journal articles and book chapters from more than 2,500 peer-reviewed journals and 11,000 books.
- Weekly statistics of the patronage of Donald Ekong Library showed a 14.5% decrease from one thousand six hundred and forty (1,640) users in the previous week to one thousand four hundred and thirty-two (1,432) users in the current week.
The library is a veritable source of knowledge. Therefore, staff and students are encouraged to seek knowledge regularly using Donald Ekong Library learning resources. Kindly note that the dedicated staff of the Library are waiting eagerly to continue rendering quality service in our first-rate Library rich in books, journals, e-resources, and other research materials. For a real-time response to information about the Library and its collections, library users can access the virtual librarian Chatbot on the website of the Library as follows: https://library.uniport.edu.ng/
Donald Ekong Library communication channels for remote access are as follows:
Dr. Helen U. Emasealu, CLN