DONALD EKONG LIBRARY WEEKLY REPORT
Monday 30th October – Friday 3rd November 2023
- From Monday 30th, October to Wednesday, 1st November 2023, the American Corner, Port Harcourt, organized three (3) programs:
- 1st Program: Soft Skills Program 1. The program was on building emotional intelligence in leaders and critical thinking skills.
- 2nd Program: Soft Skills Program 2. The program focused on teaching participants how to motivate and inspire people to deploy critical thinking for effective conflict resolution.
- 3rd Program: Education USA Orientation. The program provided participants with admission opportunities into postgraduate programs and scholarships in the United States of America.
Two hundred and thirty-four (234) participants attended the three programs from the Faculties of Dentistry, Humanities, Social Science, Law, SSLT, Education, and Engineering
- From Wednesday 1st to Thursday 2nd November 2023, the University Librarian, Dr. Helen Emasealu, received NUC accreditation teams to accredit programs in the Departments of Pure and Industrial Chemistry and Nursing Science, College of Health Sciences. The team was impressed with the Library’s 21st-century collections and overall operations.
- On 3rd November 2023, the Uniport Class of 1986, represented by Prof. Ifeanyi Uzoka (based in Canada), Mrs. Inih Obidike, and Engineer Emenike, paid a courtesy visit to the Vice-Chancellor, Prof. Owunari A. Georgewill. During the courtesy call, the team announced that it would support the University to the tune of over 100 million naira in the form of multi-media learning facilities, organise seminars and provide solar panels to Donald E. U. Ekong Library. With the kind gesture of installing solar panels in the Library, the prospects of delivering twenty-four hours of service in the Library are immense. The Management of the Library is grateful to the Uniport Class of 1986 for this act of kindness. The team announced that its reunion celebration is scheduled for 15th December 2023.
A well-equipped library is the pride of every University because it offers robust research opportunities and fosters lifelong learning. Therefore, the Management of the Library calls on other individuals and corporate bodies to support the Library with books and audio-visual learning materials.
- The Knowledge Commons (for undergraduates) and the Research Commons (for postgraduates) sections on the first floor of the Library are open to those who wish to access the Library’s electronic resources using the ICT facilities (Computers and Internet) in the Library. Similarly, the Elsevier training laboratory on the second floor has internet access to all subscribed databases and is open to faculty members.
- The Library has received an update of its OnePetro Database with the new content. https://onepetro.org/journals The database provides registered Faculty members and researchers with information on the oil and gas exploration and production industry.
- Weekly statistics of the patronage of Donald Ekong Library showed a 24% increase from 2,507 users in the previous week to 3,098 users in the current week.
The Library is a veritable source of knowledge. Therefore, staff and students are encouraged to seek knowledge regularly using Donald Ekong Library learning resources.
For a real-time response to information about the Library and its collections, library users can access the virtual librarian Chatbot on the website of the Library as follows: https://library.uniport.edu.ng/
The dedicated staff members of Donald Ekong Library are waiting eagerly to continue rendering quality service in our first-rate Library rich in books, journals, e-resources, and other research materials. Please visit the Library: https://library.uniport.edu.ng/
Donald Ekong Library communication channels for remote access are as follows:
Dr. Helen U. Emasealu, CLN