DONALD EKONG LIBRARY WEEKLY REPORT
Monday 25th – Friday 29th September 2023
- The American Corner, Port Harcourt, organized three programs from Monday, 18th to Wednesday, 20 September, 2023:
- 1st Program: Soft Skills Development 1. Apart from providing an overview of soft skills development, the program focused on the critical elements of successful goal setting, such as self-awareness, personal growth, and individual sensitive lines.
- 2nd Program: Building Professional Presentation Skills. The program provided information on the following: introduction to public speaking and presentation, key points to note before making a presentation, understanding the subject, audience, environment, and time management during public speaking.
- 3rd Program: Soft Skills Development 2: This program was on the significant phases of life, the importance of goal setting, setting realistic goals, characteristics of great leaders, and understanding that the process of setting goals for maximum impact is an unending one.
Eighty-nine (89) participants attended the three programs from the Faculties of Clinical Sciences, Basic Medical Sciences, Dentistry, Humanities, Education and Social Sciences.
- On 28 September 2023, the office of the University Librarian received the World Bank/Association of African Universities/Nigerian Universities Commission accreditation team on the mission of assessing available databases and the level of e-resources utilization in the University of Port Harcourt.
- The Knowledge Commons (for undergraduates) and the Research Commons (for postgraduates) sections on the first floor of the Library are open to those who wish to access the Library’s electronic resources using the ICT facilities in the Library. Similarly, the Elsevier training laboratory on the second floor has internet access to all subscribed databases and is open to faculty members.
- The Library has received an update on its Science Direct Database. https://www.sciencedirect.com The database provides researchers and registered library users with information resources for scientific, technical, and medical research. It offers full-text journal articles and book chapters from more than 2,500 peer-reviewed journals and 11,000 books.
- The library has received an update of its Scopus Database. https://www.scopus.com/home.uri The database is the largest abstract and citation database of peer-reviewed literature. It provides researchers with information materials on various disciplines.
- Weekly statistics of the patronage of Donald Ekong Library showed a 70% decrease from one thousand five hundred and thirty-five (1,535) users in the previous week to nine hundred and twenty-three (923) users in the current week.
- The virtual librarian platform of the Donald Ekong Library received queries relating to library registration issues, and research needs from library users during the week. We urge all library patrons to use the icon on the website for prompt WhatsApp responses to their information needs.
The dedicated staff of Donald Ekong Library are waiting eagerly to continue rendering quality service in our first-rate Library rich in books, journals, e-resources, and other research materials. Please visit the Library: https://library.uniport.edu.ng/
For a real-time response to information about the Library and its collections, library users can access the virtual librarian Chatbot on the website of the Library as follows:
Donald Ekong Library communication channels for remote access are as follows:
LinkedIn: Uniport library
Dr. Helen U. Emasealu, CLN