DONALD EKONG LIBRARY WEEKLY REPORT FOR THE WEEK ENDING 25th FEBRUARY 2022
1. On Monday 21st Feb 2022, the University Librarian, Dr. Helen Emasealu, carried out a general tour of the different Divisions and Units of the Library, for an on-the-spot assessment of facilities and for an interface with staff on ways of achieving best practices for effective service delivery.
2. The University Librarian, Dr. Helen Emasealu, set up a Taskforce in the thesis unit with a mandate to provide accurate and, therefore, reliable documentation of thesis materials for easy access of information by students and other library users. The Taskforce comprises staffs of the Thesis unit, students of the Department of Library and Information Science, Uniport, and students of other Institutions on industrial attachment.
3. In the week under review, a total number of 500 theses were documented and classified, 750 stamped and arranged, and 210 cataloged for ease of access and retrieval.
4. On 23rd February 2022, the University Librarian, Dr. Helen Emasealu, received pupils and teachers of Glory Model Academy, Omoku, Rivers State, as part of their excursion programme. Conducted around the different divisions and units of the Library, the visibly elated visitors showed
awe at the massive size of the library and expressed appreciation for the large collection of books and other information materials available.
5. The access card production unit printed 131 library access cards.
6. The total number of books consulted across faculties during the week was 84.
7. Statistics of the patronage of library resources showed a decrease from 255 users in the week ended 18th February 2022 to 121 users in the week ending 25th February 2022. This drop in library patronage is attributable to the current warning strike embarked on by the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU).
Dr. Helen Emasealu